Thursday, May 6, 2010

Oh, the Love!

When you are a teacher, your students adore you. Kindergartners especially because you are their first teacher and well they just cling to you. They are still young enough to listen to your every word. They believe you over their own moms. They cry on your shoulder, are terrified when they get in trouble, and draw you pictures and make you things daily. They are the most charitable people I have ever met. This one boy in particular.

One of my little boy's mom told me this dinner conversation they had the other night. It began with a discussion on forest fires (don't ask why):

P (my student): "Well where is the forest?"
Mom: "It's in the mountains."
P immediately gets very worried and upset: "Oh no, Mrs. Peterson lives in the mountains!! What will happen if her house catches on fire!!? Will she be ok!?" (my classroom windows have a view of Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons and I've told my kids I live by them).
Mom: "Don't worry, the firemen would get her out safely and she would be just fine."
P: "Are you sure, she will really be ok!!?" At this point he was very, very upset and just completely beside himself. It took a while for his mom and dad to calm him down.
P: "Well if that happens, then Mrs. Peterson can come live in my room with me."
Mom: "Well what about her husband?"
P: "He can come too."

How funny is that!? He was dead serious too. These kids just keep things so simple. Duh, where else would Jake and I live? Of course, just share a room with the 6 year old! I am really going to miss these kids!!

5 comments:

Ashley King said...

That is so cute that he is that seriously concerned about it. At you know that you, Jake, and OP will have a place to go in the case of a fire.

Alex, Brad, Carly & Devin said...

That is Funny! Glad to hear your kindergardeners are so concerned with your welfare!

Chris and Brittani Knudsen said...

I'm glad you and Jake would have somewhere to go if there was a forest fire (ha ha ha!)

Chris and Brittani Knudsen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vernos said...

You WILL miss being their teacher, but you WILL love being a mom more;) So cute, what a fun/funny job!