Monday, June 20, 2011

8 months!

I would say I wish Austin would stop growing, but at this point we are having so much fun with him as he is more able to interact, play, and be silly with us that I am so excited for him to keep progressing!

I know I will probably be cursing myself for saying this too but I am so excited for him to start crawling. I know, I know. My life will change drastically but I love watching this little guy try try try and cannot wait for the day he finally gets it!! He can scoot on a "scoot-friendly" floor AKA wood floors etc. But he scoots backwards..it's hilarious. I just noticed this yesterday at Jake's parents' house on their kitchen floor, it was pretty dang funny. He made a good 10 feet across the floor, then got bored!

I think Austin weighs between 18-19lbs. He is definitely getting taller as I can see a big difference in his jumper and his clothes. We'll know for sure at his 9mo appt next month!


I have 3 of the 6ish tries it took to get his 6month picture.. he is just so dang busy! I love it though.



His tongue obsession has made a come-back! Having fun in Cali visiting my dad..




I love his hat, and it doesnt bother him at all (yet)


Little boy had to have surgery a couple weeks ago. When Austin was born, the pediatrician noticed his "boy part" was slightly rotated..something we never would have noticed ourselves so I'm glad she caught it. They held off on the circumcision saying they'd do it all at once when he was old enough for surgery. So...off to Primary Children's we went at 8months. Nothing is harder than watching your baby being carried through the operating room doors by someone he doesn't know. I cried of course. This is him waking up from the anesthetic:


It was the sweetest thing watching Austin wake up from anesthesia. He was so high, silly boy! Personally, I HATE waking up from surgery. It is a miserable feeling. He was so peaceful, calm, and just kept dreamily looking at his nurse with sleepy drowsy eyes. It broke my heart to see him like this, I dont know how parents of very sick kids do it.




He held down liquids perfectly so he was able to go home after being in post-op recovery for an hour. The rest of the day was like having a newborn all over again, it was great! He slept and slept. In my arms. In daddy's arms. On the couch. And he slept through that night too! That's the beauty of anesthesia!



Jake was finally able to use last year's fathers' day present from his mom. Austin loved the hike. We will definitely be doing this more often!


Just relaxing while daddy does all the work!


He's still doing well with solids. He tries new things all the time and loves food! Except he has started gagging on veggies so we are trying to get creative. Like sometimes mixing them with fruit, or dipping crackers in them. He'll usually get a few bites down, then starts gagging or pushing them away. His current favorites are diced peaches, any type of bread, banana mum mums, graham crackers, puffs, sucking on any fresh fruit, and vanilla frozen yogurt (and NO I am not the one who got him started on that surprisingly. DADDY!!)


The other day I found him stuck in the handle of his Easter basket. The basket part was preventing him from rolling out of it either way hahaha.


Another interesting find. I was doing my hair in the bathroom when I noticed he was unusually quiet, even with a binky while playing in his room. I was alarmed and went to check on him..only to find him completely asleep on the floor. It was naptime anyway so I debated leaving him there. But I doubted he would have stayed asleep for the whole 2hrs so I picked him up, changed him, and put him in his crib...and he pretty much stayed asleep the whole time!


I love having a shopping buddy!



I am not sure what to do with his hair. I want to give it tiny trim and grow it out. Jake just wants to grow it out. We'll see! It naturally parts to one side, and it is REALLY hard to get it to go any other way.




And one last "find." I found him like this..apparently he had spit while on his tummy! YUCK. Some other things to remember about Austin at 8months:




-He mimicks us all the time! Jake and I are very sarcastic and joke around alot, but we need to
cut back, Austin is copying us! It reminds me of this little girl in my Kindergarten class, who would go around slapping others' butts...both boys and girls. And there was no question where she learned it...at home.




-He is dying to crawl. He'll scoot backwards while sitting. When he's on his tummy he'll get on his arms and kick his legs. Also while sitting he will lean forward on his arms and just about roll forward onto his knees..usually ending in a face plant. So I am not sure how he will pick up crawling..from sitting or from his tummy.




-he plays "catch" rolling the ball back and forth with you.




-I think he will be a thrill seeker like his pop. He is not amused by low key movement. He has to be thrown around, up and down, he loves to play superman on my legs, and dropped onto our bed.




-Sleeping great still. He woke up few times in the night in Cali and then a few times when we came home. ANd once he got back to normal, he ofcourse had surgery...which he slept fine the first night but then the next few nights he woke up when his Motrin would wear off..crying in pain :-( But luckily all I had to do was give him another dose and cuddle him and he was out.




I can't wait to see what the next couple months hold! New baby King, a couple of Austin's friends turning 1, holidays, starting to wean off the bottle (hopefully) and swimming and BBQing!! Summer is the best.





























4 comments:

Ashley King said...

Too much cuteness for one post! Poor little guy w/his surgery, he looks so out of it! I love his tongue pictures HAHA! And the one of him practically sleeping in the backpack. And the one of him stuck in the Easter basket. Okay he just cracks me up all the way around! :)

Alex, Brad, Carly & Devin said...

Oh my, he can't be that old already can he? And crawling too! My what a busy boy! Poor guy! Surgery sucks, and when your that little, it sucks even more! I totally laughed out loud when I saw the easter basket picture. You just wonder, how? Hope to see you guys soon. Miss you all!

Chris and Brittani Knudsen said...

So much fun, love the update on cute Austin. I am so glad that the surgery went well, it is so hard as a parent to let go and trust the professionals. Love that he is getting ready to crawl, Auds is the same but I am dreading it (I was the same as you with Lydia though so don't feel bad for one second...your second is different, ha ha ha!) love all the pics and love seeing what you guys have been up to!

Kristina said...

Soooo I'm sitting in my room and reading this and DYING at the picture of his stuck in the easter basket. Bahahahahahahahah sister I can't stop laughing. Noooo big deal hahah


...statecti