Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Cali!

Before I talk about our California trip I had to post a few pictures of Austin - AKA Daddy's boy:




This is a picture of Austin's "horns." There is a picture of Jake..maybe like 3 or 4 yrs old...of him with HIS horns. Whenever Jake woke up, his hair would alway stick straight out on the sides and look like horns! Haha in fact this still happens quite regularly-sorry Jake! :-). I just think it's so funny Austin's hair does the same thing!

***

We went to Sacramento to visit my wonderful dad over Memorial weekend. We were going to DRIVE through the night (yuck) in Austin's favor hoping he would just sleep the entire way.


Both Jake's parents and mine were pretty worried about us driving with the little one, so they flew us out there last minute. I had a couple hours to: take a shower, feed Austin, pack all 3 of our bags, and get the carseat, pac n play, and stroller airport-ready. Not to mention print our boarding passes, clean up the house (who doesnt like to come home to a somewhat clean house) and..ok i think that was it. Thank GOODNESS my mom dropped everything she was doing and came from work to watch Austin while I got some stuff done. And that is when I discovered he as hit that stage where all he wants is mommy and I cant be out of his sight...is that a stage or am I just blessed with a clingy baby!? haha... Here we are waiting at our gate. Jake was just a tad bit tired (can ya tell?)..it had been a stressful and busy day at work, and he didn't really know our flying plans...too much...so he came home to packed bags and an immediate car ride to the airport!


Holy crap I swear I am computer handicapped. This pic is totally sideways... But those are my boys on the plane! Austin did so well. He slept the first 40 minutes, then played the rest of the time. We just had to keep giving him new things to play with to keep him occupied and busy. But that's no different from home! We had one stop on the way out, in PORTLAND (a little out of the way?) but we didnt have to change planes. The entire flight time was about 3hrs. On the way home we stopped in Vegas to change planes but it was completely painless..and nice to give austin a break to play.


My whole perspective on kids on planes has changed now that I have my own. I use to be weary when I saw them, thinking "great...a baby." But now I totally understand and I am even excited to see other little ones on the plane. I was a little nervous Austin would get super bored then freak out, but he was fine. yay for Austin!



Austin fell asleep in his carseat on one of our outings, and it was just about nap time anyway so Jake put his carseat in his "room" when we got home. I thought when he woke up he would be fussy since he was in a strange place and in his carseat, but I heard him through the door blowing raspberries and talking to himself, playing with one of the many toys he had sitting with him. So I snuck this picture before he saw me. He took a 2hr nap in that carseat!


This vacation was perfect. We had no precise plans so we just went with the flow each day and it was awesome. Jake got lots of relax time in, and also some great daddy-son time. Austin got to play and hang out with his grandpa and enjoyed being in a new place. For myself, it was nice to not have chores or errands to run amongst taking care of Austin!


Most nights my dad cooked us some amazing food, but one night we went out for Mexican. If you look closely at Austin's shirt you can see the remnants of his black bean tasting! He loved them!

This was Austin's first time in a big tub and he was fascinated! ps that dark part above his bum-crack is not poop nor is it hair hehe. I think it's just a shadow mixed with a birth mark..which looks bruise-ish. Jake tickling Austin's face...makes him sleepy!




Grandpa, dad, and Austin on the side of the river!

We walked through Old Sacramento, which is a pretty sweet place. We happened to go during the Jazz Festival. It was one of 2 sunny days we were down there.

I know this is the most random picture but I thought this dog was so cute, I just wanted to hug it!

There was the usual side show attractions at the festival..you know..the silver-painted man (this one was terrible), a magic show, and....A cute little monkey! I actually felt bad for the little guy. He was dressed in ridiculous clothes and was trained to do dumb tricks. I think he is overworked and under paid!





Austin playing in his "crib." With mama!


haha and Austin in a box ;-)


It was so nice to finally go out and visit my dad! He has come out here numerous times so it was our turn to go to him. He has a peaceful, cute house, kind of in the "country." He has a field behind him with a creek...and everyone around him has either horses, cows, goats...you name it. We went on some nice walks and enjoyed BBQing and running some errands. My dad bought some fresh strawberries on the side of the road and they were the most amazing strawberries I have ever tasted! A huge THANK YOU to our parents as well!! It was much safer flying! And thank you to my dad for letting us come visit and ransack his house with baby stuff! We love you grandpa Bob!!










































3 comments:

The Richards said...

Sounds like a great trip. So glad that Austin was good for you on the plane. And I'm sure that his need to always see his mommy is just a phase... sometimes the phase just comes and goes. Easton has definitely been going through a phase like that lately.

Ashley King said...

I agree with Mindy that the phase comes and goes; Brekke's WORST was from like 14-18 months-ish...yikes. I'm glad you got to fly, it is so much less stressful overall! I love all the pics, especially his "horns" haha. And I totally agree that when I fly with Brekke now I am so happy there are other babies on the flight (mainly because I'm hoping someone else's baby is the "bad" one, lol!).

Alex, Brad, Carly & Devin said...

Looks like you had a blast! Devin is going through the same thing right now. I had her going down so well at night and just the last few days, I lay her down and she freaks out! Same thing if i set her down and leave the room. We are driving to Powell in 2 weeks. We will see how that goes!