Monday, August 2, 2010

Weekender at Powell

Can I just say I L-O-V-E Powell!? I personally think it is one of the best vacations you can take. Back in "the day" aka high school days, Megan's family would take all of us girls down for a week of pure enjoyment. We would stay on their houseboat usually anchored at a beach and I never wanted to come home! What more could you ask for?

-sunshine
-heat that makes you always want to swim
-getting tan
-beautiful surroundings
-hanging out in your swimsuit all day
-being in good company..back then it was with my best friends and Meg's older bro's best friends..made for some good times! Nothing fishy..don't get the wrong idea here. We were all just good friends and had a heck of a time!
-boating/waverunning and my all time favorite: extreme tubing/weenie wars
-endless snacks and yummy meals
-card games, movies, toenail painting etc etc etc

I was so excited when our good friends The Kings invited us down for the weekend of the 24th. Even though I "observed" all the activities and couldn't do all that I'm use to, it was still everything I remembered about good 'ol Powell. I seriously can't wait to go back, with our cute little boy in my arms and not my belly lol.

We stayed on their gorgeous houseboat..I didn't know they made houseboats like that these days!! And got some good boating trips in. I don't know why I am so dang paranoid about so many things being pregnant (maybe because I've lost one and am afraid to take any sort of chance with my little guy) but I was super nervous about going out on the boat...and well let's just say Nick is my hero because he told me where to sit so I wouldn't feel the bumps and he was so careful about driving...my fears were completely resolved the first morning we took the boat out. THANK YOU NICK!!! What a good guy!! I felt so comfortable with him at the helm :-)

My poor husband....He was so excited for Powell. He loves wakeboarding and everything else you do in the water...and shoot the FIRST morning we went out, he blew his eardrum wakeboarding. Here's his 1st run...so far so good...

Then his 2nd run. He was attempting some type of flip. He could feel it wasn't going to work out so he tried to turn it into something else and WHAM, came down, slapping his ear against the water. In the back of my head I thought 'ouch that didn't look too pleasant' but just thought it was a normal crash.
When we went to pick him up out of the water he said he felt like he shattered his eardrum and had a hard time hearing out of it...We all tried to convince him he just had too much water in his ear and it will eventually come out. But I grew worried just watching him..he never aknowledges pain...but I could tell it wasn't good!
To make things worse, a couple hours later we found an awesome little cove and Jake and Nick went for a sketchy climb...then DOVE into the water. Apparently you're not suppose to get your ear wet once you've blown your eardrum, but we didn't know!! After that Jake was in a ton of pain (poor guy) and just sat there hanging on the deck of the boat just taking the pain. After that it all went downhill...he even wrapped his head in a towell because the wind hurt his ear! He had blood in his spit and in his ear, he couldn't hear very well...ugh!
Well long story short (sorry) Nick took him to the hospital in Page and the Dr. said the eardrum was definitely blown and he needed it surgically repaired but there wasn't a surgeon..So he just had to spend entire rest of the trip without getting it wet! Hello: we're in Powell!! No water!? Haha my poor husband and I turned out to be the gimps of the houseboat...except he had cotton sticking in his ear the whole time and looked a little "special."
He was checked out once we got home and it turns out we have to wait to see if it heals on its own in 6 weeks. If not, then he has to have surgery...so let's hope it heals, eh!? My favorite part of his appointment was when they looked in his ear with a mini camera and you could see the absence of the eardrum and all the damage...dried blood, etc. it was pretty sweet. It's not often you get to see that!
The Kings have an adorable little girl who will be 1 this month. She was amazing on the ride down and home...and I couldn't believe how chill she was on the boat! Look at this girl!!
It was so funny, that's literally all she did. Just hung out on her mom's lap. She was totally chill, and relaxed she would even doze off for a little bit here and there. K seriously how could you not want a baby after looking at that pic! She was so perfect the whole trip (good job, Jake is still excited to have a baby haha). I can't wait to have a little buddy!
Besides Jake's injury, Powell was awesome...I don't know why but when you do normal things on the houseboat it's still 10 times more fun than if you did them at home. Like watch the Real Game and eat burgers up top on the deck. Or play bean toss. Thanks Kings for a good time!


3 comments:

Chris and Brittani Knudsen said...

I totally agree about POWELL...greatest place on earth! So sorry about Jake's ear he doesn't have the best luck, poor guy!

The Richards said...

Poor Jake... it would have made it a little better if it would have happened at the end of the trip. Hopefully it will heal by itself! Other than that it sounds like it was a great trip.

Ashley King said...

We're so glad you guys came :) Can't wait to do it again when you are [so adorably] preggo & Jake can just *maybe* get through the trip injury-free!

PS: I'm so glad Brekke was good because I would have hated to be the one to make Jake not want a baby anymore! lol