Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Jake's Crash

Well my worst fear (and probably Jake's!) happened this past Saturday. Jake flew head first over his handle bars on a bike ride. I was peacefully reading on our couch, and had actually drifted off, when my phone rang at about 4:30. I see that it's Jake, and knowing I wouldn't be expecting him home from his ride until 7-7:30, I was preparing myself for bad news...as I always do when he calls me while out riding. It was him, which was good (it's worse to get a call from one of his friends on the ride with him...because that means Jake can't talk). He just said "I freaking crashed." My heart stopped and my breath was taken...I just asked him if he was ok (he sounded fine, just really unhappy). He said yes he was fine, just had some road rash. The conversation went on, and it turns out he was ok, and was even able to walk his bike back to the car, and he would be home in a little bit.


He took the bike to the shop, and finally got home where I was able to clean him up a bit...(and take some pictures). I felt weird taking pictures but I figured he would want to remember this in a while.


Apparently, he had only gone .4 miles (huge disappointment)! He was riding along, up by the U, and had one hand off the handle bars. His head was turned, as he talked to Lucas. Suddenly, his handle bars tweeked (he probably ran over something small...have you seen road bike tires? They are soooo skinny!)....so his handle bars tweeked to one side, making them perpendicular to the bike...therefore sending Jake over the handle bars, crashing head first onto pure asphalt. He did the infamous tuck-and-roll-to-one-side move which he had done quite often during his skateboarding years. Upon retelling the account later that night at dinner, Brad said Jake didn't even really slide too much. He just flew threw the air and landed pretty hard on the road. BUT WAIT, it's not over! The next thing that happened is personally my favorite part: Immediately after Jake lands on the asphalt, Lucas proceeds to RUN HIM OVER!! haha my poor husband! Despite the gash Lucas' bike left on my husband's back, I would have paid money to see this whole incident, the climax undoubtedly being the "run over." Who gets ran over by a road bike!?


Needless to say, Jake turned out ok. He has become one of those stories of "my helmet saved my life" and I am truly truly truly grateful he wears his helmet, and that it did its job that day. Otherwise, I would not be sitting here typing this post and my dear husband would not be having a normal day at work. He is super sore (still) and his road rash is gross, big, and there is an unusual shade of yellow puss seeping from it day and night. I think if I were him I would rather shoot myself than take a shower! Or wear a shirt!! Haha I would be walking around shirtless and really greasy...that's a nice image.


Anyways, a repaired bike+new helmet+resolve to keep both hands on handle bar= back in the saddle this weekend, or asap! "Any one up for Big Cottonwood?" I can hear him saying it now.


We are guessing Lucas' quick release did the trick on Jake's back.
Nevermind his biker's tan, but the road rash goes all down his arm, hip, and to the knee.
All in all, I think the low severity of his wounds make up for what could have happened to his head!
The 2nd Love of His Life. He was SICK to tell his dad about the crash...considering his dad spent 3-grand on this bike some TEN years ago...

5 comments:

Ashley King said...

I still can't get the image of Lucas running Jake over out of my head (even though I didn't actually SEE it). Thank goodness the boys wear helmets!

Alex, Brad, Carly & Devin said...

I am so happy that Jake is ok. I would have paid money to see his crash though, Sorry Jake. I am so glad they wear helmets too. There have been several crashes and I am sure we have many more crashes to look forward to in the years to come. As well as possibly over the Tour de Bear lake. (I know there is a new name but I can't remember it)

Lauren Rawlings said...

I think you two are like the cutest married couple ever...just wanted you to know :)

Kristen said...

OW!!! Kim, that is my worst fear as well. Any sort of crash that could end up with very bad news. I am glad he is okay!

Vernos said...

glad all was well. Love the story about cali, i never knew that!