Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Inside a 5yr old's Head


I'm off track during Thanksgiving break so my class celebrated last week. After a short lesson on Thanksgiving, we watched "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving." If you haven't seen it, it's pretty cute. Charlie Brown and all his friends eat toast, popcorn, pretzels and jelly beans as their feast. So of course, my kids ate toast, popcorn and pretzels (forgot the jelly beans) after the movie. In the movie, they say grace before they eat....So one of my kids said "But Mrs. Peterson we have to say our prayers before we eat." haha pretty funny.

I love to ask them what they are thankful for. I even model it so they understand what it means. I usually say: "I'm thankful for my family, and for food." (yes...food) Then it's their turn. Sometimes, well, many times, I wonder what in the world is going on inside their head! Here's what they had to say:

- "I'm thankful for my parents and all they give me...like all my stuffed animals."
- "I'm thankful for my dad, cause he's in the army." (his dad is being deployed to Iraq in like 10 days)
- "I like writing gift cards."
- "I'm happy I have the holy ghost and my family and that I can have families forever and my family to eat with. And a doggy to sleep with." (WOW!)
- "I like to dress up my teddy bear in Spiderman."

OK and now for the grand finale, including the conversation that ensued amongst the kids:
- "On Valentines I'm gonna give you all some Transformer Cards...and that my daddy is here for us so we have lots of deer."
child 1: "Deer? Like hunt?"
child 2: "Deer?! Like from SANTA CLAUS!?"
child 3 in a matter-of-fact voice: "No...Deer, like they cook it."

I just sat there in my chair listening to all this and was speechless. It's a good thing Kindergartners don't get embarrassed to easily because I laugh at them a lot. We all laugh together actually. I'm glad I fit in with 5 year olds....

1 comment:

Chris and Brittani Knudsen said...

Oh the joys, enjoy your break! We will have to get together for sure!