Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Give A Little...

I came upon this book in our classroom library the other day and read it to my class.  It has been a long time since I have read it.  What a wonderful book.  I got teary eyed, and I think even my 5 and 6 year olds got the idea.  I think if you haven't read it in a while, you should.  It's sad, but in a good way I think.  The tree is so selfless, and gives gives gives...and that's what makes her happy.  

I just love that all the tree wants is to make the boy happy, and she gives everything she has to him.  She never questions his motives, and she never judges him, she doesn't know where he has been or where he is going.  She doesn't ask "does he deserve this?" "Is he a good person?" "Will he return the favor?"  "What will he do with this?"  He asks. And she gives. That's that. I use to judge homeless people who would beg for money.  Until I read a scripture that talks about giving to those who ask.  I don't think it is our place to judge where and who people are.  Aren't we all beggars?  

In this book, giving is happiness.  The end is sort of sad...I wish the last line wasn't there.   But I think this is one of my new favorite books...aren't children books so great!? 

5 comments:

The Richards said...

I had completely forgotten about that book. I really should get it for Hailey.

Vernos said...

This was a favorite of mine growing up! I love it!

Carly Lynn Dent said...

LOVE that book! Glad you found me :) Now we can without a doubt stay connected through the virtual world ;) Thanks for your advice. What you say is so true... I still have so much to get done and I swear everyone is already throwin' their 2 cents in! But seriously that's probably the greatest advice for me. Just ask Jordan, he'll tell you I'm the worlds biggest pushover! So I'll definitely make a mental note of everything you said!

Kristen said...

Oh my gosh! You just brought me back to elementary school. I loved that book. I think I will head down to Barnes and Noble to make a purchase! ;)Great post.

Chris and Brittani Knudsen said...

Don't you wish that all of life made as much sense as it does in children's books. I'll be honest I'm totally obsessed with kids books, get a lot with your legislative money then you can keep them and have them for your kids! Anyways hopefully you are having so much fun and just enjoying the fact that you are half way to the finish!