Friday, April 17, 2009

Got Ghost Body?

So I had another interesting conversation with one of my kids the other day...

We were sitting at carpet and I noticed (I will call her "A") looking a bit worrisome and maybe about to cry.  I puller her aside and this is what we talked about:

Me: You look like you're really sad, are you ok?
A: Well...I am just not sure I am use to my Ghost Body yet.
(at this point I am realizing I just opened a can of worms...ghost body?)
Me: Your Ghost Body?  What is a Ghost Body?
A: It's just something you can be born with.  But Angie gave me mine.  And I am just not so sure I am use to it yet.
Me: How did Angie give you your Ghost Body?
A: We were just over in the playhouse center and she just snapped her fingers and then I got it.
Me: Well, do you believe in Ghost Bodies?  Do you really think you have one?
A: Well I don't believe in ghosts, but I don't know about Ghost Bodies.
Me: Ya I don't believe in ghosts either, so I don't think I believe in Ghost Bodies.
A: I know, but I really want to trust Angie.  She is my friend, and I really want to be able to trust her...because she is my friend, and friends are people you trust.  I just don't know how use to my Ghost Body I am.
Me: Well you are right, but sometimes our friends believe in different things than we do, and we can still be friends...believing in different things.
A: Yeah.  But I also really want to be in her club.  And she said I can't be in her club until I am use to my Ghost Body.
(wow)
Me: Well it sounds like you don't really believe in ghost bodies, and neither do I.  And it seems like it isn't making you happy, so it's your decision now...
A: Ok.

We talked about it for a bit longer but that was the main part of the convo.  Interesting, huh!  She is the smartest student in my class...and I could tell she was in the middle of a real life dilemma!   But honestly, what in the WORLD is a Ghost Body anyway!??  Seriously, these kids are so funny.  I will have to dig deeper and ask the girl who gave it to her what a Ghost Body is.  I will let you know what I find!!

Here are a couple pics from the old classroom..
Some of our rules....Pretty much don't act like a 5-year-old (as you can imagine it can be tough sometimes.


This one is hilarious.  At the beginning of the year, we give them these blank little person cut-outs and they decorate them to look exactly like them....Imagine if someone's mouth was really like this!!??  hahahaha

5 comments:

Chris and Brittani Knudsen said...

That is hillarious...I love that she wasn't used to her ghost body like she was feeling different then before Angie snapped her fingers...I love little kids!

Vernos said...

They should start a new reality show for kids, set in kindergarten! It would be riot!! Perhaps you can use your journalism/writing skills and start composing the screenplay;)

Jake and Kim said...

Hahahah!
Brittani: I know, right? And she was totally serious and really pondering it! Little kids are great.

Meg: WOW what a great idea!! Instead of "The Hills", I would name it.."The Playground." Too bad I don't have the motivation or innovation to start up something like that!...That is your area! (I have always admired your go-getter attitude..probably inherited from Marcos)

Ashley King said...

LOL I love deeply she was pondering this ghost body thing, sounds like a smart little girl anyway. The things kids worry about...

Kristen said...

Pretty sure a little bit of pee just came out! That is hilarious! I love reading your student stories. I just love how innocent they are!